Thursday, February 28, 2008

I think I'm starting to get it

My mind seems to be full again so I need to get some stuff out before I go to bed (or more likely play my Xbox 360 until I wake my wife up and then I will pay dearly tomorrow). So, in no particular order, here is what I am thinking tonight:

1. My first principal (Bill Sherven) always used to say, "Work smarter, not harder". Well if that did not come back to me during our last class as one of the primary reasons for social networking. Teachers are always trying to find more time in their day to accomplish the many tasks that are required of them yet the one thing that we don't do is use our time to find contacts who may have already done the tasks for us!

2. Until now I have been very reserved about commenting on other peoples blogs. I thought that these blogs were primarily for our own thoughts and reflections and I did not want to seem too judgmental about what others were experiencing or feeling through our learning process. That changed when I listened to our last class. I appreciated the comments from Dean S. and the others in the chat room that emphasized that the primary purpose of commenting was to expand our social networks and develop the relationships that start by reading blog posts. So, thanks to all that read this and I pledge to do a better job on commenting to other blogs.

3. If you haven't checked out Kelly Christopherson's blog titled Educational Discourse, you really need to do yourself a favour and subscribe. I don't know how he finds time to write but most of his stuff is very thought provoking.

4. I am going to try making my first podcast this weekend for the start of my major project. Wish me luck and if anyone has any tips or pieces of advice I would gladly welcome them.

Ciao for now!
Mathman33

1 comment:

kellywchris said...

Hey Walter. Good to see you here. I missed the conversation - I sometimes peak in to see what's happening. In order to create growth, you have to be part of the dialogue. I've found it is just too easy to be a blurker (blog lurker) and not join the discussions. You get much more out of taking what is said and turning it over yourself and adding a comment. Much more engaging. Keep in touch - twitter or pownce.(I like pownce)