Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dr. Seuss & Social Networking

As I was watching TV while eating supper last week I was surprised to learn that there was a connection between Dr. Seuss and our last lesson on Social Networking by Sharon Peters. In Dr. Seuss' book, Horton Hears a Who! one of the messages of the book is that there is a world beyond things that you cannot see. As a beginning teacher I was primarily concerned with surviving. Teaching in a small town and having to prep for 8-10 classes a day I wasn't concerned what was happening outside of my classroom or my school. After a few years I started to get involved in my local teachers' association and eventually I was elected to the Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation (STF) executive. That experience was incredible. I felt that the walls of my educational community had been blown apart exposing me to the outside world of education (similar to the Shareski photo "No Walls" . Now that I am taking this class, I am having a similar experience. I have been amazed at the number of people and the number of resources that are available for teachers' to use at no expense to the teacher or the school division. Perhaps that is why I am leaning towards creating a series of podcasts that will educate teachers to the various resources that are available online and provide them with a video tutorial on how to use each resource (maybe I am too ambitious but I will find out next week as I try and create my first episode). As I conclude this post I would just like to take the opportunity to thank all of the people who have raised their collective voices that have allowed me to expand my knowledge and realize that there is a world beyond the things that I could not see.

Have a good day!
Mathman 33

3 comments:

LG said...

What a great resource this would be for teachers Walter!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That's sounds great, I'll have to watch to see how that goes. I've had a similar idea, yet am afraid of the amount of work that would create. In the end, I'm sure that you will have a fantastic resource.