Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Influencing Change

I am very aware that change can be a very slow and painful process in education. Change can be slow because of external factors such as budgets and school division policies but it is also slow because some teachers simply feel that what they are doing is good enough and that there is no need to change what they are doing.

Let's face it - most teacher's are creatures of habit. Once they find a good thing, they will continue to use it until they retire. Most teachers will also teach in a manner that is very similar to their preferred learning style. Most of the teachers that we have in our schools did not grow up with technology and we can freely admit that most students know more about technology than we do. It is for those reasons that trying to incorporate technology into effective teaching practices will probably take another generation to accomplish (even though this is hard for me to admit).

In order to influence the change teachers, parents, and central office personnel must become knowledgeable and believe in constructivism. As long as there exists a power structure in education some teachers will never be able to let go of the power and become a learner along with the students. Teachers and administrators will have to become comfortable with a philosophy that allows the teacher to be an expert in some areas, like curriculum, and for the students to be the experts in the technology. Then, working together, effective and meaningful learning can take place for all persons involved.

That's all for now. I think I can get some sleep now.
Mathman33

4 comments:

injenuity said...

I tend to disagree that they all need to believe in Constructivism to get things done. You would be surprised how teachers and administrators with completely different philosophies can find a common thread and grow from there. I used to have a faculty office in the middle of a university C&I department and I had Constructivism rammed down my throat all day long. My natural inclination was to rebel, and I still do. However, I think if someone were to study my practices, they might make me the Constructivist Poster Child! You may have a rough time if you feel deeply that you need to change their core philosophies. They don't even have to know constructivism exists. As you do more research, you will find arguments as to what it actually is. Is it a philosophy? A theory? A strategy? Rather than stimulate a potentially volatile discussion with faculty, you may wish to find out how they believe knowledge is constructed and then attribute it to Constructivism and share some resources. You have a lot going on and I look forward to reading how it all emerges!

trabajadorsocial said...

I would like consider myself as a construvist. But , I know that we are living in a diverse society. The point is how we build together a better place for living and learning.
Luis

Angie Balkwill said...

It seems that we are in the "hurry up and wait" phase of the course. Alec presents us with all of these exciting journeys that are available for us as professionals as well as teaching tools only to be restricted to use them in schools. Restrictions due to fear and misplacement of $$.

Classroom Queen said...

There are days when I want to to an agent of change in my school and influence other teachers to embrace technology. But, the other part of me wants to keep all of the technology to my self. If I'm the only one who want to use the data projector, digital cameras, laptops and so then I have better access to them. I know it's extremely selfish so I curb my tendancies and share the wealth.